Saturday, July 9, 2011

here to there.

My first journal entry.
June 4, 2011
The beginning. After several days, I have said all my goodbyes, completed the epic task of packing for a month of life in Africa (everything from clothes, to binoculars, to bug spray, to rings, to headlamps to eye drops) and mentally prepared, as much as realistically possible, for such an adventure. Now, I’m drinking in the North Carolina scenes from inside a tiny commuter jet, the last glimpses of Greensboro that I will see for a while. I’m fully aware that when I set eyes on this familiar landscape again, I will be a different person.  But isn’t that our daily story? Change is constant. There really is no “different,” just a truer form of ourselves.  We’re picking up speed...



After 30 days, 1385 photos, 4 flights, and 7 rounds of goodbyes I am home. Well, one of my homes. Tanzania graciously opened its arms to me, as I opened my eyes and heart as much as I knew how. It taught me about wildlife, conservation, the environment. But, most importantly, it taught me the African way of life. This life has no worries. Time means nothing. Frustration and negativity are traded for compassion, gentleness and encouragement. We are not perfect and it is not fair to expect perfection from anyone else. Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase!

I thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. It means so much to me. As I conclude this inspiring journey, I hope it has sparked your own travel bug. After all, I need companions for the next grand adventure!

Tanzania, till we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment