Sunday, June 12, 2011

updates from the "dark continent"

1. It's not dark at all...in any way, shape or form! Socially: I am repeatedly amazed by how friendly and welcoming everyone is. Atmospherically: the sun liberally streaming down on my skin feels so delightful. Mentally: my mind is filled with light and hope as I see the joy in every child that merrily approaches us on the running path, in town or by the school.
2. Lake Manyara National Park was good to us on our two day safari. As we entered the park, we saw a troop of 13 Olive Baboons grooming, lounging in the sun, picking buds off Acacia trees. While ugly in general, the babies were still quite adorable. Then, we headed along the crude dirt path in our safari vehicles to the grasslands where we were met by a group of 45 zebra and tons of Warthogs (they may take the crown of ugliest animal spotted) and Impalas. A quick stop at the Hippo Pool revealed a few eyes peering out of the water. One was kind enough to emerge and yawn so large as to show off his entire mouth, teeth, throat...the whole deal.  On the way back, we were greeted by two majestic giraffes that were calmly grazing in the Acacia forest. I am still in awe that these creatures were just a few feet from our jeep—we the outsiders, and they in their natural habitat. However, the most impressive and memorable moment of all was when, about a kilometer from the park entrance, we spotted an elephant!!! Scratch that, four huge African beauties and one adorable baby. All I could think of was sweet, but suave, Rosie from Water For Elephants.  No words can describe my exhilaration!!!!  
3. A little less important, but very pertinent: I am DYING for a Chick-fil-a Spicy Chicken Sandwich!  Wire one to me? Any takers? Asanti sana!

2 comments:

  1. ROSIE!! I cannot believe you saw SOO many beautiful elephants! Bring the baby back to me and I will work on wiring you that sandwich haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! It's Hannah Vestal :)
    Love your blog...I'd send you a CFA spicy sandwich if I could. I don't think our catering service extends out to Africa LOL

    ReplyDelete