Thursday, June 23, 2011

when in tanzania...


The only update from yesterday concerns the power. Thus, I would like to extend an emphatic thank you to my parents who made sure that I had everything suggested on the list of packing supplies. Today’s choice equipment was the very flattering headlamp...
We were without power for half the day.
Luckily, we all finished our papers before the power outage. The kitchen cooked over fire in the back, so dinner was not interrupted by this somewhat routine occurrence. After a few minutes we adjusted to it and went about our night, clad in our headlamps.
More exciting, a few of us walked to the tailor’s house this morning. After buying beautiful fabric in Mto Wa Mbu, I gave him the pieces to make a wrap-skirt and bag. He works from a sewing machine on his front porch, with piles of fabric surrounding him and rows of pants hanging overhead. His efficiency is incredible. Both of my pieces are perfect, completely handmade in Tanzania.

Up next: Ngorongoro Crater. But for now, studying for our exam tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Just got through having dinner with your mom. She told me you had a new post today.

    ReplyDelete