Friday, June 24, 2011

blue balloon.

After lunch yesterday, we traveled to the orphanage in Mtu Wa Mbu. Erica, our program director, has volunteered there for the past few years so we were able to do the same.  The building was painted with butterflies and suns, lined with a dusty porch.  Before we were even briefed about our tasks, the kids ran out to greet us, grabbing our hands and jumping into our arms.  Each one had such a beautiful personality. Michael, who stayed in Dan’s arms for half the time, was all smiles. Another little girl was full of sass, only enhanced by the array of sunglasses she snagged from us, modeling them like a pro.

I helped organize the school supplies, a job that entailed sifting through boxes and piles of random papers, utensils, toys and pictures.  A few of the guys worked on the swing outside. The orphanage was also trying to open a duka (shop) for villagers and tourists. Thus, others sorted the paintings, jewelry and other items for sale, displaying a few outside.  We painted a sign to advertise the duka as well.

After the dust from our organizing cleared out and everything was in place, we were able to play with the kids. One little girl ran over and jumped in my lap, singing away.  I began bouncing my legs and playing along. She kept singing and bouncing way past the point of my legs aching. But, she loved it!  All the kids loved our camera, too!  When they weren’t smiling for pictures, they were taking them.  Some of us played soccer with the kids, some did puzzles.  One little boy found a recorder while we were organizing, so his attempt at a musical masterpiece was quite entertaining! Right when we were about to leave, another precious girl with a big, blue balloon ran up to me. I lifted her into the air and twirled her around in my arms. I couldn’t let her go. But, alas, it was time to leave.  With one last hug, I let her down and watched as she bounced off with her blue balloon.

As we drove away, kids were already lining up for the newly constructed swing! Energy. Charisma. Joy. All things that I’ve said before, but such interactions never cease to amaze me. Even though our return there is uncertain, our time spent with the children was positively delightful.

1 comment: